While certain tenets of home selling strategy remain true through every season of the year, selling your home over the winter season, particularly during the winter holidays, requires a unique approach.
The following is a list of key components to a successful winter home sale:
- Present great online listing photos. Due to winter weather, buyers will attend fewer open houses and sellers generally host fewer open house events. This doesn’t have to be a roadblock to a successful sale, but your potential buyer will want to see a variety of photos presenting your home in a positive light. Post as many photos as you can, and prepare your space accordingly for the best photos possible.
- Work with your Realtor to price your home to sell. In any housing market, the market sets the selling price for any home, not the seller, and not even your Realtor. Solid data including the results of a Current Market Analysis, or CMA, form the basis for the sales price of your home. Appropriate pricing is vital in any market, especially amidst the busy holiday season.
- Be flexible with contract terms. During the holiday season, be prepared to give a little in terms of contract dates. If the snow flies thick and heavy on inspection day, dates may need to move. Holidays may require a move of the closing date. A professional, experienced Realtor will include provisions for such events in your Contract to Buy & Sell. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and share your concerns, but flexibility on both sides of the table will create a more pleasant transaction for all parties.
- Stage your home for the holidays.Effective home staging is vital for a winter-time sale in a seasonal state. Make note of your experience as you enter your home after work on a wintry day.
- Is your outdoor lighting bright enough to illuminate your house at night? Have you decorated for the season outdoors? Keep it tasteful and tidy.
- Is there a functional mat for snowy boots and shoes inside the entry?
- Is your house warm? Crank up the heat for open houses or during busy showing days/times. Light up the fireplace for open houses – showings if you can.
- Boil a homemade potpourri mix on the stove to fill your home with a cozy holiday scent. Cinnamon sticks, orange peels, cloves and apple cider create a fragrant holiday aroma that helps buyers warm up to your home.
- Festive holiday music is another way to warm a buyers’ hearts on a cold day – stick to classic non-religious holiday tunes to appeal to the most buyers.
Selling your home during the holiday season is a job for a professional. I’m here to help whether you are ready to list, or just considering your options.