Keep the holidays merry & bright and safe with these home tips.
1. If your Christmas lights have seen better days, bite the bullet and toss ’em. Better safe than sorry, and this is a small investment to keep your tree from going up in electrical-fire flames.
2. Resist the urge to keep your lights and decorations glowing all night. You’ll be happy you did when the utility bill arrives, and this will increase the safety factor.
3. Keep an eye on candles – especially if you have pets or children. Try the battery operated options found at many price points, sizes and styles. They are a stylish alternative and a great option for homes with little fingers and furry paws.
4. Never connect more than one extension cord together, and consider tripping hazards when stretching cords from trees and decor to the wall.
5. Ace the Test! Check your smoke alarms monthly to make sure they work, and be sure to install smoke and carbon monoxide (CO2) alarms on every level of your home — especially near sleeping areas. This vital equipment would make a thoughtful gift for your entire family.
Merry Christmas to you and yours!