“In winter, I plot and plan. In spring, I move.” – Henry Rollins
Almost-spring is an exciting time in Real Estate: Sellers are making last minute home repairs in preparation for a sale, Buyers are eagerly anticipating every new sign in the yards of their favorite neighborhood, and the rest of us? Well – from renters to Realtors, singles, married couples and the enfiance’d, college kids to retired folks – lots of people I know will be cruising the streets soon, enjoying their neighbors’ budding curb appeal and maybe even considering a move.
If this is you – seeking greener pastures, looking to settle down after renting for awhile or maybe up-or-downsizing – I’d love to share a few good reasons to consider home ownership. Obviously, it’s totally cool to be able to say, “Why yes. I own this house. This. Is. My. House.” Beyond the cool factor, there are some really good reasons for owning a home.
- On average, a Homeowner’s net worth is 31 – 46 x that of a Renter.
- Long term, home ownership is more cost effective than renting. Our good pals Math & Statistics prove it again and again.
- According to a 2011 survey by Trulia, 78% of U.S. homeowners say their home is the best investment they’ve ever made.
- Your first home purchase will likely lead to an even better home on your next purchase, and so on. After you vacate your current rental… you’ll probably find something similar in a new neighborhood or town. BOOOOOO-ring.
- When the value of the home you own appreciates, so does your net worth. When the value of a property you rent increases, so does your rent. Where’s the fun in that?
- The interest on a home mortgage is tax deductible. But your Uncle Sam won’t give you any credit for rent payments.
- If you make great decorating choices and upgrades to the home you own, you’ll build equity. If you make unique decorating choices in your rental – they’ll keep your deposit money. Bummer!
All of that information just makes me want to put up a bunch of signs and help people get into their own homes.
Wait a second…
I’m already doing that!
If you are cruising the streets of Metro Denver, seeking your own pride of ownership – give me a ring. I’m here to help you find your dream home, your for-a-few-years home, your tired-of-the-rental-game home. Whatever your ideal home situation looks like, my goal is to get you all the information you need to make it happen.
I look forward to hearing from you,